Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Concert Weekend: 10/26 and 10/27 (Rapid Fire!)

Welcome back! It's been a minute! I'm still going to concerts. I'm still causing trouble. Still getting myself hurt. Ya know, nothing out of the ordinary. Since I went to two concerts this weekend. I'm going to try to do a quick run through of each performance.

Night 1

(Goodbye, Farewell Tour @ Royale in Boston, Massachusetts)

Tommy Cash



My brother and I showed up late to this show, so we missed the opener NVDES. We still have no idea who this performer is, and by the sounds of his stage name, he sounds like he would be just riveting. We ended up showing up around halfway through Tommy Cash's performance. He is a Russian rapper with (apparently) very strange music videos. The most memorable part of his performance was the bizarre imagery in the background of his performance. The was a video of him playing bongos on butts. My brother and I were confused. That is all. Oh yeah, and some girl collapsed right near us. That wasn't part of the performance though.

Oliver Tree



All right, now this
is the performance we went to see. This man is a meme god, and he actually makes interesting music. He makes a blend of rap, indie rock, alternative rock, and hip hop, infused with some EDM influence. Some of his music reminds me of what Gorillaz were going for. This was his last Boston show, and he had a big send off. Highly energetic crowd, great stage banter (despite him being in a wheelchair), great performance and stage show - everything just felt so well put together. It's a shame this is the only time I can say I saw him. He also had a great backing band, with a drummer and a bassist/keyboardist. We actually got tickets pretty last minute, too, and I'm glad we ended up going.

Night 2

The Wonder Years 3rd (occasionally) Annual Halloween Extravaganza

Costumes my brother and I wore to this show

Future Teens



My brother and I showed up for this show late, as well. I didn't know this band at all, and we had, most unfortunately, missed their Carly Rae Jepsen cover set. The music was decent. I liked it. What I liked most about this band was how important the band holds their fans and their response to mental illness. They are strong supporters of helping their fans, and they are willing to go great lengths to make sure nobody feels unsafe in any situation, so long as they are there to help. I loved that.

Oasis



I know. I saw Oasis! This wasn't the actual Oasis. It was actually a pop punk band called Trash Boat performing a painfully accurate cover set of Oasis songs. They did four songs - three I didn't know and then Wonderwall. The stage banter was hilarious, poking fun at how the members of Oasis tend to bicker and have legal disputes. The costumes were on point. The music was also on point. My favorite part was how the guitarist wore a balding cap, even though the guy who wore it is actually bald. Huge props to them for doing such a great job.

Trash Boat



Trash Boat! This band is phenomenal. They put every ounce of energy they have into performing with such intensity and passion. It's incredible. The crowd seemed to know just about every word, and they were super energetic throughout the band's whole set. The band performed six songs, two old ones, two from the last album, and a single that just came out a couple months ago. This was my third time seeing them, and I'd love to see them again. My brother and I wore trash bags to this show to show our loyalty to the almighty Trash Boat.

Limp Bizkit




This was a cover set performed by The Wonder Years. They also acted in character and performed four songs. Limp Bizkit is actually pretty terrible, but the cover set that night was fun and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They played Break Stuff, so the crowd got to go crazy to that. I was looking forward to the performance of specifically that song for a few months.

The Wonder Years



I don't know this band super well, but I know them enough. The amount of energy and emotion put into the performance by the band, paired with the unrelenting energy from the crowd, made for a super fun night. The band played about 16 songs, which was very long. The show got over much later than the Oliver Tree show. I moshed hard. I crowd surfed a lot. I lost my mind... and an earplug. Good thing I had a spare set! I had work 9-5 that day, so I was tired. I had work at 9 the next morning, so I didn't get much sleep. When the band played songs like "Passing Through a Screen Door" and "Cardinals," it was difficult for me to control myself, so I completely disregarded how exhausted I might make myself. It was all worth it in the end.

Thank you for reading! I will have a similar blog next week, so keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment